Introduction

I have wanted to share my brother's story for a long time. He is a trailblazer, or perhaps more accurately, my parents were trailblazers in the movement to keep special needs kids at home with their families after birth. John was born in 1960, a time when almost no middle class parents kept kids like him at home. Somehow, my mother knew that his potential could only be maximized by his living at home with his parents and three sisters. And so he did. I know it was really hard for many people, but it was never hard for me.
He was born about a month early and I've been told it was a very difficult birth for my mother. There were no sonograms in 1960, so no one knew in advance that he had a very large head, even for an achondroplasiac dwarf. Despite the best efforts of the doctors, his brain was damaged during birth, leaving him mentally retarded. Friends and family members recommended that John be institutionalized for the 'good' of my sisters and me, but my mother was resolute and home he stayed.
I cannot imagine what my life would have been like had John not been in it. I created this blog to share with others the joy and pain I have experienced as the sibling of a special needs person and to let others know of the tremendous success my hero has achieved.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Chicken Soup

John has bronchitis (again!) and, after struggling with it for several days, he made an appointment with his doctor for this morning at 10:30. He was given medication at his doctor's office and his health improved amazingly in the 8 hours since he received it. Our dear friend Michael heard that John was 'under the weather' and so stopped by his apartment with a big container of Whole Foods' fabulous chicken soup. John has a terrific circle of love around him. If life holds anything better than that for us, it is news to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment